Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Thought on Reverie; Reverant Irrelevance

I believe in dreams.  Perhaps it is in their vivid expressions and the reflection they pose on my own feelings, or perhaps it is the history they have with the Jewish prophets and their relationship with God.  Perhaps it is my own insanity.  It doesn't really matter, I believe in dreams.

I can not help but notice the peculiarity in the sleeping mind.  Dreams are one of the few unexplained phenomena in our lives, and yet we accept them without question.  If only modern science could take a lesson from this.  Not everything needs an explanation.  

In personal opinion, I find dreams revelating.  Not so much as they provide answers, but as they provide me with the right questions.  Very much like Dr. Lanning from the movie adaptation of I, Robot.

It is in this category that "Freckles" falls.

Perhaps it is my mystic side that I believe so heavily in this.  Perhaps it is my hope for the future to become something in which I can have faith.  Perhaps it is my romantic idealism overflowing from my subconscious.  Perhaps it is an omen?

The bible warns us about not quelling the spirit's fire [1 Thessalonians 5:19], so why do we discount the highly mystical aspect of our lives that we have already accepted?  I am not advocating that we should try to divine anything from our dreams.  The last thing we need is another scam by which the church can use to abuse the faithful.  In all honesty, there is no greater evil in this world than the cross clutched in an iron fist.  I am only suggesting that mayhaps we have a connection with a deeper side of life, and it costs us nothing.  Nothing save a slight introspection.

Freckles is the only name I have for [literally] the girl of my dreams.  I've met her three times.  Each time, I wake up breathless.  I can almost hear her whisper in my ear, and I can smell her on my pillow.  Call me insane, but I believe that is something more than a vivid hallucination inspired by random impulses of my synapses and interpreted by my subconscious.

It is my goal to find her.  She exists.  I feel it.  I know it.  And I praise my Father for it.

Just to touch on a deeper issue,

What is with this idea that maturity is synonymous with a 
"lack of passion"?  I'm currently reading Uprising, a novel by Erwin McManus, and he addresses the topic thoroughly, but in a much more phyiscal sense.  I agree wholeheartedly!  When God created man, he did not intend for us to live a life of docile complacency living in the city suburbs without a care in the world.  Man was made for adventure.  Very similar to the ideas of Wild at Heart, I dare interdict that we all are made for something much greater than for what we settle.  I'll address this later.  As for now, I want to apply this same idea to that of our Father, God.  How dare we believe that a "mature" Christian is one who attends church every Sunday and asks no questions.  That a "mature" Christian is content with who he/she is.  That a "mature" individual is the one who blindly accepts the role that society has placed for them.  Is it any wonder then that we have so many failed attempts at finding joy when we force ourselves out of our passions?  We are called to love God.  When was the last time we went on a sojourn to better understand how GREAT our Father truly is?  Here's a challenge:  Go outside today and look for who God is, just in your surroundings.  It's surprising.  And in case you need a little more inspiration, I suggest "Under Bridges" by an amazing artist called Brave Saint Saturn.  They're difficult to find, but if you take a swing by your local Mardel you just might find them.

But this brings me to the juxtaposition of this post:  The organized church has created an illusory dream of amiable circumstance.  A horse wears blinders so as not to be frightened from the path the rider desires it to follow.  The church wears blinders so it can't see itself in the mirror.  We have become the modern day Pharisees, those "white-washed tombs" of malcontent and abusive power.  And we call it reverance.  I'm sure that God will reward you for your 'piety'.  In fact, he's picked out your reward already.  I think it's called "Hell".  Be wary.  We must break out from our blindness and become the servant children we are called to be.  To borrow from a recent event here in Edmond:  A local church minister has been black balled from fellowshipping with the churches of Christ [you can read about it here] for trivialities!  In all honesty, I would welcome the excommunication just to show these people how foolish they are.  Just one last point:  Name one major church reformer who was not rejected by the church leaders.  You'd think we'd learn by now.  To iterate Mark Twain:  "Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

I pray that we all may come to better appreciate our Father.  And in doing so, let us grow up to a passionate maturity with a strength of heart and soul that burns just to see the slightest work of his hand.  Then, we just might begin to understand each other.

My Honor Is My Life,

-Sword

No comments: