Tuesday, February 12, 2008

God isn't a Capitalist [or an American for that matter...]

Belief is an odd idea.  Belief in itself means nothing.  And yet it can radically change our perspective.  I remember wearing a pair of prisms over my eyes for physics class.  It inverts your vision.  
It was a pain to learn to walk again.  Yet soon, with practice, you became accostomed to it.  And then, when you removed the prisms, you had to re-learn reality.  Belief is the same way.  
There is a period of odd transistion between what you thought life was before and what you know it to be now.  For some, they never find reality.  
They are lost forever in the turmoil between, in the ether of unguided and unbalanced life.  
For those people, I truly weep.  
I have a friend who is very close to me who falls into this category.  
I can only pray that he will realize that you don't find answers 
searching with your eyes closed.  
You only end up with cut hands and skinned kness 
[a spiritual stubbed toe if you will.]

But for those who continue on and force ourselves to find the reason behind the "paradigm shift" [curse you Edwards!] and the deeper 
understanding that comes with it, 
we find a world of infinte complexity and a wonderous creation 
that glorifies the Father with every breath.
 
For me...I've realized something.  Jesus meant what he said.  Stunning no?  
Yet, it has come to my attention that we have contextualized and translated and interrperated until we can gloss over 
those sections we don't like [The rich young ruler anyone?].  If we desire to serve God, 
then we must do what is asked of us.  How can we expect salvation when we sit on our leather 
comfort suite and debate about the nature of God when the poor sleep in the streets?  
Or God's children butcher themselves in Africa?  Or the middle east?

So what do I propose?  Not everyone is a missionary.  Not everyone can carry the sword of truth
with a gentleness and love and still strike a man to save his soul.  But we all may be a servant to our fellow man.  It is a highly un-American idea.  In fact, I doubt that many will ever adopt this path.  But the way is narrow.  
It saddens me to think of what we teach our children in "church" today:  Sit in the pew, honey.  
Sing these songs.  This is worship.  This is life.  What a dreadful and boring life!  Living 9-5 workin in a cubicle.  God does not care about money or the carnal and temporal trappings with which we dress ourselves.  God demands service.

This is my paradigm:  Serve.  I've always wanted to do so.  I've just never thought to make it my primary goal in life.  I am reading The Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne.  I had a friend tell me once that something honestly "changed his life".  
To be honest, Christianity has never "changed" me.  But this calling has.  

Because I am giving up Christianity to follow Christ.

Organized religion is the most corrupt and evil entity in the world today.  
If the apostles were alive today...they would be horrifed.  And I'm certain some fire from heaven would engulf certain congregations.  It's time for a revolution.  It's time to change the world.  
Stand up.  Now.  

I want to leave you with a startling line from Coheed and Cambria, a band I enjoy.  
Although their message is anything from that of Christ, it is fitting for my current 
view of the "church" as we have made it.  If it is the bride of Christ, I feel he would say nearly the same thing:
"You could have been all I wanted, but you weren't honest, so get in the ground.  
But you're just as I presumed:  A whore in sheep's clothing, fucking up all I do." -Coheed and Cambria, "Welcome Home"

I pray that something will change.  I pray that we will be Christ to the world.  Like we were supposed to be.  Else, there is a war coming.  
And I will be standing with the angels, at Christ's side as the world burns.  Will you?

My Honor Is My Life,

-Sword

No comments: