Every man has his calling.
I have several friends who have been called into the minstry, and I salute them.
It is an honorable calling. I know others who are going into Engineering, as I was supposed to.
God bless them with that. They will excel, and give him glory. And there are those who are called
to the dangerous choice of "liberal arts" and the cold wet cardboard box they shall call their home
[I'm just teasing you Pinecone. You'll live off your hubby instead!]. All these choices are so clear,
defined and unvariable. And therefore, not for me.
I am called to wander.
I am a seeker. I seek truth, righteousness, glory and honor. All of these lie in the hands of my
Father. And so therefore, I seek him. I would be lying if I said it is an easy journey. In fact, it
has been more difficult than any Puritan preacher could have ever described it to be. And yet,
here I am. Finding my way, with every second thrilling, depressing, exhilerating, and exhausting. Nothing compares to this journey. And it shouldn't. But this path is spiritual.
Although it does translate into the temporal realm through my life of service, it does not tell me
what milk to buy at the grocers or whom to elect as president. And it doesn't tell me what
I should persue as a major. And with this, I am perplexed.
I had thought, that God would lead me where I should go. And he has. I must tell you sometime
of the many instances where God has countered my every move until I have no where left to go
except where he would have me [it must be hell trying to play him at chess]. But now, I have options. As a wanderer, I see this not as a joyful indulgance of choice, but rather as a question:
Do I have a choice? Or will my moves simply be predictated again? [Welcome to McChrist's! How would you like your theology today? Calvanistic or Arminian?] Honestly, it doesn't matter. I must only follow my calling [is any one else asking "What the hell does that mean?"?].
I thought that I was never going to be a missionary. I could never see myself in some foriegn country talking about some guy who lived 2000 years ago to people who really didn't care about the spiritual when their lives were falling apart around them. Yet, now, I feel compelled to do something. And I see a foreign country just outside my door.
I don't know where the church went, but somewhere between Augustine and Alexander Campbell, it went into hibernation. I, wanderer, have decided that here is my mission: To bring Christ to all, wherever my feet take me. And now, I must choose a major that will allow me to do just that: Save the world. That doesn't sound daunting at all...
I love God. More than my heart can cry out through all eternity. Of late, I've come to a decision:
I am leaving engineering. I know not what I will persue next, but I will find it. I am thinking
phyics and journalism. But only the Lord knows.
And for those of you who actually read this post, I'm sorry about this stupid text wrapping problem. I'm working on fixing it, but who knows how long that will take.
If you are reading this via RSS feed...you shouldn't have that problem.
My Honor Is My Life,
-Sword
Friday, February 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment